Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Adoption - A view from two corners of the triad

As the adoptee of an adoptee and the adoptive father of twins, I've gotten to see life from two corners of the triad. As a first post, a little history:

My adoptive father, adopted in 1922 during the "hush" era didn't meet his birth parents until he went off to war in 1941. He simply looked them up, introduced himself and let them know he ended up just fine. He never revealed the tough life he led living on the streets from the time he was 12 due to the fact his adopted father was an alcoholic. He served 27 years in the Marine Corps and in three wars (WWII, Korea, Viet Nam).

I was adopted at the age of 4 (with an infant baby sister) through the courts of the state of CA in 1965 (sealed records). I would come to know a disruptive life not unlike my father. My adoptive parents divorced when I was 12 and I have been on my own since 17. Having been separated from my two older brothers when my birth mother left the 4 of us with a neighbor never to return, there were a lot of unanswered questions. I wanted the answers to some the questions my adoptive parents could never answer. After three years of searching, at the age of 24, I located all of my family members (using vital records), including my two brothers who had been adopted by foster parents in the CA system.

It's 2007 and my wife and I are raising adopted twins via an international adoption which took place in 2003. (We tried to have our own children, but were unable due to medical issues.) Our boys are 4 and were adopted at birth and came home to the US at 6 months of age. They have 5 birth siblings. Their parents were too poor to feed two more mouths and had no choice but to relinquish them. If it is their choice, I will do all that I can when they become of age to help them locate their parents in their native country.

3 comments:

Soojung Jo said...

Wow, what a story you have. It's good to meet you - I found you through the GIMH list of best adoptee blogs. I'm also an adoptee, raising 3 bio kids & 1 recently adopted older child (China). I look forward to following your blog and getting to know you better. Cheers. ~Raina

Unknown said...

internet luxury replica bags go to this website dolabuy louis vuitton Learn More Here replica louis vuitton

Unknown said...

s2p80u1f92 p2n34y9c67 o8i47e4r31 t3e87d1j78 x0e03x5y20 w6o79h2x46